The Congregation of the Mother of Carmel (CMC), the first indigenous Religious Congregation for Women in the Syro-Malabar Major Archiepiscopal Church was founded as the Third Order of Carmelites Discalced (TOCD), on 13 February 1866 at Koonammavu, in the Vicariate of Verapoly Kerala, by Saint Kuriakose Elias Chavara the then Vicar General of Syrian Church of Kerala. Rev. Fr Leopold Beccaro OCD, an Italian Carmelite missionary is its co-founder, who was the Provincial Delegate of the time in Kerala.
150th year of CMC FOUNDATION
CMC Sesquicentennial Celebration is on 6 February 2016 at Koonammavu, Ernakulam. It was a great event for CMC. the year 2015-2016 was declared as the SSesquicentennial Jubilee Year and each province had taken up variuos projects and pragrammes on this banner. it was atime for renewal anf rejoice. As the culmination of the jubille celebration the communion was held at Koonammanu, the first convent of CMC. the St. Theresa's Convent built by St. Kuriakose Elias Chavara was converted to a Hostorical museum and it was opened for the public as the memorial of the Sesquicentennial Jubille of the CMC founadation. The museum contains the true historical evidences and describes the development and groth of CMC very clearly.