The Congregation of the Mother of Carmel (CMC), the first indigenous Religious Congregation for Women in the Syro-Malabar Major Archiepiscopal Church was founded as the Third Order of Carmelites Discalced (TOCD), on 13 February 1866 at Koonammavu, in the Vicariate of Verapoly Kerala, by Saint Kuriakose Elias Chavara the then Vicar General of Syrian Church of Kerala. Rev. Fr Leopold Beccaro OCD, an Italian Carmelite missionary is its co-founder, who was the Provincial Delegate of the time in Kerala.CMC slowly started to grow in Kerala's differefnt vicariates with its own identiyt.
Together with the Syrian Church, the Congregation gradually grew, spread out as four independent units but with the same charism, under four Mother Generals (Ernakulam, Changanacherry, Trichur and Pala) in the territory of six dioceses in Kerala (Ernakulam, Changanacherry, Trissur, Pala, Kothamangalam and Tellicherry) and two dioceses outside Kerala, namely Jalandhar and Chanda. In the year 1962 decisive steps were taken to unify the Congregation that functioned till then as independent diocesan units. In 21 May 1963 Rev. Fr Hippolitus Kunnumkal OFM Cap. was appointed as the Papal Delegate to give leadership in this venture. As a result of his tireless effort the independent units were unified on 16 November 1963 under one Mother General (Mother Mary Celine) and the diocesan units were declared as Provinces. Then arised a need of general house and it was built at Thaikkattukara near Aluva, Ernakulam. The bulding was blessed on 1967 and there after it became the mother house for CMC. In 2017-18 the mother house celebrated its golden jubilee.